Friday, April 1, 2011

The Maibocks are Coming

It's that time of year again, when the Maibocks start appearing on shelves and tap handles. We got a preview of this spring seasonal out in Lawrence, when Free State was pouring its Kansas anniversary beer, K-150. It's gone now, I believe, but hopefully you were able to get some while they had it.

Next week, Gordon Biersch will start pouring its Maibock seasonal on Wednesday at 5:30pm. It is accompanied by its Pacific Rim menu, which we also saw last year. I'm not really sure where this association between maibock and banana spring rolls comes from, but I don't go there for the food anyway. Note to American Homebrewers Association members - Gordon Biersch participates in the AHA pub discount program. Get $3 off any food order over $10 when you show your membership card.


And starting this month, we'll be seeing Boulevard's Maibock, Boss Tom, on shelves and tap handles. I really enjoyed this one last year, and look forward to it again. I was going to say that this is my favorite Boulevard seasonal in the non-smokestack lineup, but then I remembered Nutcracker. So, 2nd favorite. It's close. You can already get this on tap at Flying Saucer, and I'm sure other venues have it available as well - or will, very soon.

Some quick stats on Maibock - it's a lager in the bock family, and pale malt flavor dominates the flavor profile. You won't find the high presence of toasty malt here like you will in a traditional bock, or the rich caramelly flavors of a doppelbock. While hop flavor won't be too high, maibock definitely has more hop bitterness & spiciness than the other bocks.

OG is in the 1.060s - 1.070s with IBUs hanging out in the high 20s and low 30s. ABV should be in the mid 6% range. Clean, crisp, malty, but more bitter than the other members of the bock family, it's a great transition from the malt-dominant beers we love in winter to the hoppy, crisp, refreshing beers of summer.

Prost!

6 comments:

  1. I liked the original Maibock Blvd was making 2 years ago that was on tap for a bit. I liked Boss Tom last year, but didn't crave another. I just had it on tap this year and thought it was terrible. Too hoppy. Not even resembling a Maibock. Curious to hear what you think of it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had it yet... Hoppy as in flavor & aroma? Or hoppy as in bitter?

    Also, K-150 is still on tap @ Free State :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't pay much attention at the time to the aroma. I just remember being taken a back at the first sip with the hops completely overpowering any malt. If you blindfolded me, not in a million years would I guess it's suppose to be a Maibock. Maybe I haven't had enough Maibocks to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again – taking your RSS feeds also, Thanks.

    clomid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! This was exacly what I needed. Simple and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the info. I found the details very helpful.

    nolvadex

    ReplyDelete

Tasting Notes

ShareThis