Sunday, February 22, 2009

Upcoming Beer Tastings at Grinders

Grinders hosts a "Taste Beering" with food pairings every 2nd Thursday of each month. The upcoming March 12th beer tasting features several Ommegang beers.

According to their website, here are the menu offerings:

1. Ommegang Hennepin: paired with a floral & citrus shrimp ceviche
2. Duvel: paired with spanikopita
3. Maredsous tripel: paired with a spicy chicken taquito w/ green chile sauce
4. Ommegang Abbey Ale Tripel: paired with bacon wrapped dates stuffed with pecan creamed cheese
5. Ommegang Three Philosophers: paired with a lemon tartlette

(bacon-wrapped dates? HOW HAVE I NOT THOUGHT OF THIS???)

Tickets are $17 prior to the event, $26 at the door.

April's Taste Beering will feature Unibroue (which, I learned on our trip to Quebec last year, is pronounced "OOO-nee-broh"). Details aren't yet posted.

Side Comment - we ordered a basket of 6 chicken wings with "death sauce" and they wouldn't let us order it at first ("we put it on the menu as kind of a joke" they said...). They gave us a little sample taster of the sauce, which was pretty damn hot but tasted quite nice. We were able to order them after some convincing, and they were delicious.

If you've been disappointed at the lack of spicy food in KC, this will definitely renew your faith that spicy food does exist here. And if anyone has some tips on how to get places to believe me when I order food hot, let me know. I've tried everything I can think of, and nearly always get some jalapenos tossed onto the top of my dish. So disappointing. The sauce they use, by the way, is Dave's Insanity Sauce.

And, last but not least, I enjoyed a nice Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel. Banana & spice present, of course, and a bit bready. Very nice and easy to drink.

3 comments:

  1. Peanut also will douse the hot sauce on its wings if you ask nicely. They pass the "do you cough when you smell them" test with flying colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about the wings... this video blog from a few months ago makes them seem inedible. The guy in the video must just be a bigtime wuss:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19YoaFYEQr8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owen - I've heard good things about the Peanut, both about the wings & their BLTs. I haven't been yet but will add them to my list. I can't find a website for them but I am not sure one exists; how's their beer selection?

    LD - That was pretty funny. Thanks for sharing the link! I will say that if you find jalapenos to be spicy, the death wings are not for you. But, they're certainly edible, and the flavor of the sauce is actually quite good. The people sitting next to us at the bar said they spent their first date there and had a "death wing eating contest" between each other. I'll probably have them again some time.

    My only complaint about wings (and this goes for all of them) is that, even though I will eat pretty much anything, they tend to have a lot of chicken fat on them. Unlike pork fat, chicken fat has a pretty bad flavor and takes all the joy out of a mouth full of delicious chicken meat and hot sauce. Maybe next time I'll get tots with a side of insanity sauce. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Tasting Notes

ShareThis