Wednesday, April 29, 2009

XX-Rated Beer

I typically don’t (and won't) write about being a woman who likes beer, or who likes beer “despite” being a woman. It’s not that I intentionally avoid the subject; to be honest, it's never occurred to me to write about it. While I do hope that more people expand their experiences with beer beyond macro “light” beers, that desire is not directed to a gender. Beer is a passion of mine that I’ve been working on for about a decade now (since discovering Sudwerk’s Märzen in college) and something I want to share with everyone. I love talking about beer, tasting it, learning about it, and encouraging others to try new styles.

I do recall feeling a bit of gender pride when I found out Bend Brewing’s award-winning Brewmeister was a woman. The same feeling welled up when I found out Moylan’s Brewing, one of my all-time-favorite breweries, also employed a female head brewer. But, really, it's the same feeling of pride I get when I meet another person from Oregon, who went to my alma mater, or who enjoys gin. All I ask for is consistently good beer, an occasional risk in trying a new style or recipe, and respect for the varied tastes and preferences of beer drinkers worldwide - regardless of gender. They can keep their pink boots. I like the shoes I have, thanks.

Anyway, I do have a point. Candice Alström hits the nail on the head in her recent article in BeerAdvocate magazine about women and beer.

Like Candace, I love beer. And that’s all that matters.

1 comment:

  1. Wow thanks for the mention on your blog. I really appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete

Tasting Notes

ShareThis