Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Prepare to be Torpedoed into Hopland

I just got off the phone with Lukas Liquor in MO (near 135th & State Line). They're getting Sierra Nevada's Torpedo "two weeks out". Mark your calendar, boys and girls - two weeks isn't long. Gomer's in Midtown took my name & number and will call me when they know they'll have it. Apparently I was the 2nd person to call about it today. Royal in both Brookside and on 103rd didn't know when they'd get it in.

Torpedo is an "Extra IPA"

7.4% ABV
IBUs around 78-80
Bittering hops: Magnum
Finishing hops: Magnum, Crystal, Chinook.

Torpedo: Magnum, Chinook, Citra

More info here and here.



On the Citra hops, sierranevadabill says this on beeradvocate.com:

As far as we know Torpedo will be the first bottled beer EVER to include Citra hops, widely available or otherwise.

We are using Citra in the torpedo because it is not only a really unique flavored hop but also has a ton of alpha-acid...I think 12% don't quote me though. The flavor os somewhere in between the crazy-tropical mango flavor I described, but if used too much, Citra can crank out an intense "catty" flavor... Like Simcoe on steroids.

As the previous poster stated, with a late hop addition, the hops are still subjected to hot wort, therefore, extracting some bitterness. That is, not necissarily why we're not using there, though. i think I mentioned earlier, that there ar only about 3 acres of this hop anywhere in the world. There just isn't that much of it to go around. I was in our hop freezer this aftyernoon, and we have a solid 250lb bale. I think that's it. Total. End of story.

We are using citra in a way to get the most bang for the buck, so to speak, and blending it in with many different hop varieties in the Torpedo for added hop complexity.

5 comments:

  1. Ha, I called them yesterday about it and the guy knew nothing about it. Hopefully they realize how serious this is for some of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know who the other person to call Gomer's today was? This guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FWIW, when I was in Lukas Liquors yesterday (2/5) they had me talk to their "beer guy" and he didn't even know what Torpedo was. When I told him he said, "I highly doubt we'll be getting it."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. Was that the Lukas in MO or KS?

    In any case, Gomer's in Midtown seems to be waiting on their distributor. It's in St Louis right now, so it should just be a matter of time before we get it here in KC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was Lukas in KS, on Metcalf. If you don't mind and you get a chance to do so, would you mind dropping me an email if Gomer's contacts you when it's in?

    ReplyDelete

Tasting Notes

ShareThis